Our journey from sea level to the nearly 14,000 foot summit of Maunakea reveals the wonders and world-class clarity of the Hawaiian night sky.
- Enjoy a private picnic dinner at Historic Humuula Sheep Station, located at 7,000 feet elevation
- Your guide will share historic accounts of early travelers through the mountainlands
- Delight in the awe-inspiring sunset at the top of Maunakea, the highest point in the Pacific
- Stand amidst the world’s largest collection of research telescopes
- Sip hot chocolate during your private starshow at 9,000 feet elevation with an 11” Celestron telescope
- Around 7 to 8 hours.
- Easy to Moderate.
- Max 14
- Afternoon trips depart daily from Hawaii Forest and Trail Headquarters, Queen’s Marketplace in Waikoloa Beach Resort, and the Highlands Shopping Center in Waikoloa Village. 7 to 8 hours round trip.
- Picnic style dinner, assorted teas, hot chocolate, and dessert. Warm dinner selections are a choice of Teriyaki Chicken, Kalbi Beef Short Ribs, or Vegetarian Thai Curry all served with a side of seasonal vegetables & brown rice. Hot Chocolate and Brownies served for dessert.
- We provide warm wear including, hooded parkas and gloves.
What to Bring & Wear
- Closed-toe shoes, long pants, and a sweatshirt or sweater.
- The access road to the summit can close without warning, therefore we cannot guarantee access to the summit. Guests should be able to hike on an uneven or rocky terrain. We sometimes encounter cool, wet or muddy conditions. Because of high altitude this tour is not advised for those with respiratory, circulatory or heart conditions, pregnancy or poor health. Scuba divers should be aware of altitude dangers. No children under 16. Other tour restrictions may apply.