Travel through the remote and rugged landscape of Kau – home to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, historic farming plantations and the famous Punaluu black sand beach. Discover how the powerful forces of nature shaped the peoples and landscapes of Hawaii’s largest district.
- Visit must-see sites inside Hawaii Volcanoes National Park including Thurston Lava Tube, Jaggar Museum, and view Halemaumau Crater
- Sample award-winning coffee & other island treats on a private coffee estate tour
- Drive a back road through macadamia nut orchards
- Stroll a glistening black sand beach in search of sea turtles
- Around 6 to 7 hours.
- Max 12
- Morning trips depart daily from our downtown Hilo store at 224 Kamehameha Ave. Tour time is approximately 7 hours round trip. Other pickup locations available. Contact us for full details.
- Park Fees, Deli-style lunch with assorted beverages, and snacks. Samples of coffee and macadamia nuts available at Kau Coffee Mill.
- Walking sticks, day packs, warm wear and rain ponchos.
What to Bring & Wear
- Comfortable walking shoes, long pants, and a light jacket.
- Guests should be able to hike on uneven or rocky terrain. We sometimes encounter cool, wet or muddy conditions. Other tour restrictions may apply.